Russian forces have not undertaken any offensive operations in southern Ukraine and continue to strengthen their defensive positions. Ukrainian forces have confirmed the bombing of several fortifications and ammunition depots of the Russian army in the Kherson region, according to the analysis published on Sunday morning by the Institute for the Study of War (ISW). At the same time, classified ads appeared in the Russian press with job offers for “drone operators” who, among other requirements, must agree to travel on “business trips.”

Live The Digi24.ro text that covered the events in Ukraine can be watched HERE.

The Russians bombed the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant again

UPDATE 21.40 : The Russians bombed the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant again, Ukrainian authorities said on Sunday, according to Reuters.

According to them, three radiation sensors were hit in Sunday’s attack. Also, a worker at the nuclear power plant was injured during the bombings.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Sunday called for a stronger international response to what he described as Russian “nuclear terror” after the bombing of the Zaporizhia nuclear power plant, Europe’s largest, Reuters reports.

During a phone call with European Council President Charles Michel, Zelenski called for sanctions on Russia’s nuclear industry and nuclear fuel.

Ukraine is investigating nearly 26,000 cases of possible war crimes

UPDATE 21.00 Ukraine is investigating nearly 26,000 cases of suspected war crimes, with 135 people charged, since Russia’s February 24 invasion, war crimes prosecutor Yuriy Bilousov told Reuters, The Guardian notes.

Of those indicted, about 15 are in Ukraine’s custody, and the remaining 120 are at large, Yuriy Bilousov, head of the war crimes department of the General Prosecutor’s Office, said in an interview in the capital Kyiv.

Thirteen cases have been brought before the courts and seven verdicts have been issued, he said.

In May, a 21-year-old Russian soldier became the first person convicted in a war crimes trial in Ukraine. He was sentenced to life in prison for killing an unarmed civilian.

“Sometimes we have been asked why we are prosecuting such… lower ranking officers. Because they are physically here… If the generals had been here physically and we could have captured them, we would certainly have prosecuted the generals,” Bilousov said, according to Reuters.

Amnesty International apologizes for ‘distress’ caused by report accusing Kyiv army of endangering civilians

UPDATE 16.52: Amnesty International apologized on Sunday for the “suffering and anger” caused by a report accusing Ukraine of endangering civilians, which infuriated President Volodymyr Zelensky and triggered the resignation of its Kyiv bureau chief, Reuters reports.

The human rights organization published a report on Thursday accusing the Ukrainian military of endangering civilians by deploying troops in residential areas in the war provoked by Russian aggression.

“Amnesty International deeply regrets the distress and anger that our press release has caused regarding the fighting tactics of the Ukrainian military,” it said in an email to Reuters.

“Amnesty International’s priority in this conflict and in any conflict is to ensure that civilians are protected. Indeed, this was our sole objective when we launched this latest round of research. While we fully stand by our findings, we regret the pain caused,” the organization says.

In its email on Sunday, Amnesty said it found Ukrainian forces near civilian residences in 19 towns and villages it visited, putting them at risk of attack.

“This does not mean that Amnesty International holds Ukrainian forces responsible for violations committed by Russian forces, nor that the Ukrainian military is not taking appropriate precautions elsewhere in the country,” the statement said.

“We must be very clear: nothing we have documented that Ukrainian forces are doing in any way justifies Russian violations,” the organization says.

Russian attacks in the Donetsk region are intensifying. Zelensky demands more weapons for Ukraine

UPDATE 15:42 The attacks of the Russian forces in Donetsk (eastern Ukraine) increased in intensity on Sunday, while the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelensky, asked the West for more weapons so that his forces could retaliate against the invaders, reports EFE.

According to the Ukrainian General Staff, the attacks against the cities of Sloviansk, Bahmut and Adviidka were repelled.

Bahmut, where heavy fighting has been going on for several days, is considered a key point of the Ukrainian defense strategy in this densely populated area of ​​Donbas.

Russians control 60% of Donetsk. Photo: Profimedia Images

The fall of Bahmut, according to military analysts, would open the way for invading troops to larger cities in the Donetsk region.

At the present time, it is estimated that, after the conquest of the Luhansk region, the Russians already control 60% of the Donetsk region, the two components of the Donbas mining areas, in eastern Ukraine.

Four more grain ships left Ukrainian ports on the Black Sea

UPDATE 12:49 Four more Ukrainian ships carrying agricultural products left Ukrainian ports on the Black Sea on Sunday as part of the agreement reached to unblock grain exports, Ukrainian and Turkish officials announced, quoted by AFP and Reuters.

In total, these cargoes are carrying more than 161,000 tons of corn and food products to Turkey, China and Italy, according to the Joint Coordination Center (CCC) which will follow their route to Istanbul, where they will be inspected at sea before entering the Bosphorus.

With these new shipments, Ukrainian grain exports are gradually regaining a regular rhythm, informs Agerpres.

In a message addressed to Ukrainians on Saturday evening, President Volodymyr Zelensky expressed his satisfaction with the relaunch of sea exports of Ukrainian agricultural products. “Our Black Sea ports are working,” he said. “But the main risk, security, remains. The danger of a Russian provocation and terrorist actions persists. We must each remain aware of this. But if our partners fulfill their obligations and guarantee the security of supplies, this will solve the world food crisis,” added Zelenski.

Russia is trying to form new volunteer battalions. Recruits are told they will receive balances that can reach more than $4,000

Your cookie settings do not allow the content of this section to be displayed. You can update the cookie module settings directly from the browser or from here – you need to accept social media cookies

According to ISW, Russia is trying to form volunteer battalions from regions like Voronezh or Smolensk. Recruits are paid between 100,000 and 250,000 rubles (about $1,650 to $4,130), the Institute for the Study of War (ISW) said, citing local Russian media sources.

Local classified ads in Russia have also featured job offers for “drone operators” to go on “business trips.”

Your cookie settings do not allow the content of this section to be displayed. You can update the cookie module settings directly from the browser or from here – you need to accept social media cookies

Ukrainian partisans, increasingly active in the areas occupied by the Russian army

At the same time, there is an increasingly active movement of partisans and civil resistance in the areas occupied by the Russian army in Ukraine.

An official of the administration installed by the Russian forces in the Kherson region, in the south of Ukraine, died of injuries following an attack, announced the local authorities appointed by Moscow, according to AFP.

“Vitali Gura, the deputy head of the administration in Novaia Kahovka, responsible for communal services, died from his injuries,” a local official, Katerina Gubareva, said on Telegram on Saturday evening, Agerpres informs.

This official was seriously injured on Saturday morning in an “attack” at his home and was suffering from numerous bullet wounds, an anonymous source from the pro-Russian administration indicated, quoted by the TASS news agency.

The town of Nova Kahovka, on the Dnieper, under Russian control, is located about 80 km east of the city of Kherson.

In recent months, several officials appointed by the Russian forces in the Ukrainian territories controlled by them have been the target of attacks.

After a large part of the Kherson region and a part of the Zaporizhia region were occupied, the Kremlin began to apply a policy of Russification with a view to possible annexation. Moscow has introduced the ruble there and is encouraging residents to get Russian passports.

At least six senior Russian officers have been dismissed from leading the Russian military since the start of the invasion of Ukraine, according to a review of the war in Ukraine by the British Ministry of Defence.

Your cookie settings do not allow the content of this section to be displayed. You can update the cookie module settings directly from the browser or from here – you need to accept social media cookies

The resignations from the ranks of the Russian military come as at least 10 Russian generals have already been killed in the war in Ukraine, which, cumulatively, have a major effect on the effectiveness of Putin’s military command system.

The Russians, accused of bombing the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant

The risk of a nuclear catastrophe is very real, after the recent bombing of the doors of the Zaporozhye plant in southern Ukraine, says the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Rafael Grossi. For its part, Ukraine’s state-owned nuclear power company, Energoatom, has announced that there is a “serious risk” to the safe operation of the facility. Energoatom claims that the Russian bombings severely damaged the plant’s nitrogen-oxygen unit.

“The official information that CNCAN has about the situation at the Zaporozhye plant shows that, indeed, it seems that there were some explosions, but at the electrical network outside the site. These explosions affected what is the electrical grid that connects the Ukrainian national electrical grid with what is the electrical grid at the site. But these things only affected the transformers at Unit 1 at this site. Unit 1 was stopped immediately and fed with generators, so that at no time was the problem of radiation emission on the site”, Petre Min, CNCAN adviser, explained to Digi24.

“I would like to state that it was indeed a situation at the oxygen and nitrogen production station, but they were also able to put out the fire that followed an explosion. And there are no problems. These are official data, received both from the Ukrainian officials and from the agency in Vienna”, added the Romanian official.

Publisher: ML

Source Link

close

Brasov-Romania News To Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.