The “Eternitatea” Cemetery in Galaţi joined the Association of Significant Cemeteries in Europe and was included in the Cultural Route of European Cemeteries.

The Association of Significant Cemeteries in Europe (ASCE) promotes the importance of cemeteries in terms of identity, culture, art and religion, including the inclusion of European Cemeteries Route in the Cultural Route.

At the same time, the membership also offers the opportunity to benefit from consultancy in projects with European funding for the restoration and maintenance of the cemetery or for research.

The Cultural Route of European Cemeteries is the most visible and active project of the association, awarded by the World Tourism Organization of the United Nations, a cultural itinerary developed since 2010 under the umbrella of the European Institute for Cultural Routes.

Through this project, cemeteries open their doors to tourists, visitors having the opportunity to find, in one place, art, history, architecture, nature and heritage.

Only three such cemeteries in Romania have joined the Association of Significant Cemeteries in Europe: the “Eternitatea” Cemetery in Galaţi, the Central Cemetery in Cluj-Napoca “Hajongard” and the “Şerban Vodă” Cemetery (Bellu) in Bucharest.

The “Eternitatea” cemetery was established by Galaţi City Hall in 1865, has a total area of ​​22 hectares and has 26,684 graves.

The “Eternitatea” cemetery is also the place where monuments were erected in memory of the Romanian and foreign heroes who fell on the battlefields in the two world wars, but also in the Revolution of December 1989.

The most imposing monument is the Mausoleum of the Heroes, followed by the Monument of the Romanian Heroes, the Monument of the French Heroes and the Monument of the German Heroes.

Among the personalities of public life buried in the “Eternity” Cemetery are: Charles Cunningham (1801 – 1860), former vice-consul and then consul of the British Kingdom in Galaţi and Brăila; Vincenzzo Fanciotti (1824 – 1886), who contributed to the construction of the “Alexandru Ioan Cuza” Commercial School, being the one who offered the place on which he will start, in 1881, to build the school premises; Gheorghe Fulger (1832-1899), mayor of Galaţi between 1883 and 1884; Ioan D. Prodrom (1867 – 1952), philanthropist and remarkable politician from Galaţi, mayor of Galaţi (1923-1925), senator, president of the Chamber of Commerce from Galaţi and prefect of Covurlui county; Nicolae Mantu (1871 – 1957) one of the most appreciated Romanian painters, promoter of fundraising for the construction of the municipal library (today’s building of the Dramatic Theater).

Source Link

close

Brasov-Romania News To Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.